Guest lectures 2001-2003
SMI: Centre for Middle Eastern and Islamic Studies; SFU: Centre for Development Studies; SEK: Centre for European Culture Studies, SKK: Centre for Women and Gender studies, IMER: Program for Migration Studies.
- 3.4.01: Michael Lambek, Toronto: 'Localising Islamic Performance on Mayotte' (SMI).
- 16.5.01: Efrat Ben-zeev, Oxford University: 'The Palestinian Village of Ijzim during the 1948 War: Forming an anthropological history through villagers' accounts and army documents' (SMI).
- 13.9.01: El-Said Badawi, Cairo: 'Semantic and structural variations on the theme of the Arabic verbless sentence' (SMI / Arabic).
- 13.9.01: Nadia Anghelescu, Bucharest: 'Rumania between Orient and Occident (The Thoughts of an Orientalist)' (SMI / Arabic).
- 26.9.01: John S. Schoeberlein, Harvard: 'Transformations of Islam in Post-Soviet Central Asia' (History).
- 8.10.01: Ahmed I. Abushouk, Kuala Lumpur: 'Political Assassination in Islam: The case of the third Caliph 'Uthman ibn 'Affan and its repercussions' (SMI).
- 16.10.01: Gabriel Taguem Fah, N'Gaoundere: 'Islam in Cameroon: Recent trends and new developments' (SMI).
- 16.10.01: Farhad Khosrokhavar, Paris: 'Gender relations among Iranian youth today' (SMI/Anthropology).
- 14.11.01: Khalil Athamina, Bir Zeit: 'Destruction and Reconstruction of Coastal Cities in Palestine and Southern Syria During the Crusade Period', and 'Changing Traditional Life Patterns in Palestine Central Mountains' (SFU).
- 18.3.02: Sharif Harir: 'September 11 and the Sudan - A window of opportunity for peace?' (SFU).
- 8.4.02: Fakhra Salimi, Oslo: 'Likestilling og innvandrerkvinner' [Equality and immigrant women] (Anthropology, IMER).
- 22.4.02: Robert Mabro, Oxford: 'Industrialization and the Third World from a Middle East perspective' (History).
- 30.5.02: Sylvaine Camelin, Paris: 'Not seen, not known? Women in public space. Reflections on the notions of private and public and the position of women in Hadramaout' (Anthropology).
- 3.6.02: Kamal Abdelfattah, Birzeit: 'The Current Situation in Palestine' (SFU).
- 17.9.02: Amira Osman, Pretoria: 'Space, built form and meaning in Northern Riverain Sudan' (SMI).
- 27.9.02 Joel S. Migdal, Harvard: 'Is there hope for the Middle East?' (SMI).
- 27.9.02 Michael Irving Jensen, Copenhagen: 'Hamas in the Gaza Strip: Islamism in the social and educational sphere' (SMI).
- 14.10.02: Norman Finkelstein: 'The "Peace Process" in Israel and Palestine' (Polical Science).
- 20.10.02: Ibrahim Zein, Kuala Lumpur: 'The Sharia laws in the Sudan' (SMI).
- 29.11.02: Michael Meeker, Seattle: 'A revolution by counter-revolution: From empire to republic in the district of Of' (SMI).
- 12.5.03: Muhammed Haron, Gaberone: 'Arabic-Afrikaans: A Forgotten Genre?' (SMI)
- 27.5.03: Ahmed Ibrahim Abu Shouk, Kuala Lumpur: 'Arabian Peninsula and Malay Archipelago: From Commercial Links to Socio-Cultural Interactions' (History)
- 2.6.03: Amina Haraj-Touzani, Rabat: 'The uneasy Moroccan Synthesis between Tradition and Modernity' (SMI)
- 3.11.03, Bjørn Olav Utvik, Oslo: 'The democracy movement in Iran: status and prospects' (SMI / History)
- 10.11.03, Robert Mabro. Oxford,: 'Oil and Politics in the Middle East' (SMI / History)
- 28.11.03, Tim Insoll, Manchester : 'Approaches to the Archaeology of Islam-Unity or Diversity' (SMI / Archaeology)
- 1.12.03, Ellen Flesichmann, Dayton: 'The Nation and Its 'New' Women: The
- Palestinian Womens Movement, 1920-1948' (SMI)
- 1.12.03, Jenny B. White, Boston: 'Turkey's Islamists and the New Muslimhood Model' (Anthropology)